If I have shortness of breath, is it better for me to quit sports?

Dr. Brian Macy
In brief: 1
Shortness of breath can be normal for many different exertional activities, however, shortness of breath that reduces participation in activities should be evaluated by a physician before continuing.

In brief: 1
Dr. Brian Macy
Dr. Brian Macy
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Need eval....
You need to be evaluated by a doctor to determine the etiology of your shortness of breath.
There are many treatable causes of shortness of breath and you may need testing, like pulmonary function testing, arterial blood gas, etc. To diagnose the cause of this symptom. If severe, you should go to the er. Once diagnosed, you can be treated so you can remain physically active.

In brief: Need eval....
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology