When I play sports, I get shortness of breath really quickly. Is this normal?

No, check w/ your MD. It is prudent and recommended that you obtain adequate medical clearance before partaking in sports. Many respiratory ailments (sinus conditions, asthma, and allergies, to name a few) are easily treated and manged if adequate medical advice is obtained.
Needs throrough exam. There are a number of conditions that can cause shortness of breath. Detail history and a thorough physical exam by your doctor will sort out the cause(s).