I got pneumonia and even though it's gone, I still have shortness of breath. Is this normal?

Dr. Craig Brown
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Pneumonia

It is fairly common to continue to have shortness of breath and weakness following an episode of pneumonia.
I tell patients try to stay active during this time and they begin to feel themselves again a matter of weeks. If 4-6 weeks have gone by without any improvement, then you need to be reevaluated by your physician.

In brief: Pneumonia

Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Thomas Klein
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

There are two components to pneumonia.
One is the infection that clears relatively quickly with antibiotics. The other is inflammation due to the infection. The inflammation takes longer to clear and may require more than just antibiotics. Sometimes inhalers and steroids are needed.

There are two components to pneumonia.
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Thomas Klein
Dr. Steven Seres