What are some prescribed medications available to help me lose weight?

Dr. Robert Stuart

In brief: Not good news

There are no great prescription medications out there.
There are concerns that meridia, phentermine, etc. Have too many risks and studies have shown that they are minimally, if at all, effective. There is no substitute for burning more calories than you consume. My patients have had some success with alli, which is otc. Good luck!

In brief: Not good news

Dr. Robert Stuart
Dr. Robert Stuart
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: Weight med

As a practicing bariatrician for over 15 years, the most effective weight medication available is phentermine.
It is about 60 years on the market. In experienced physicians' practices the weight loss averages 10-15 % of weight lost. The key is the physician's monitoring of the patient usually monthly. The patient must be thoroughly evaluated by a physician who subspecializes in weight management.

In brief: Weight med

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
In my experience Alli has very limited success. Men who typically crave more fats and less snacking on carbs do better on Alli. Usually, Alli does very little for my weight patients. I feel it should not be OTC at all. There is a greater possibilty for its misuse for those with eating disorders. The FDA should never approved it OTC.