How can I support my husband in his weight loss habits?

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: 4 ways to help diet

A wife can support the family's weight loss habits by: 1) buying only healthy meals focusing on proteins, fruits, and vegetables, 2) keeping only healthy snacks like fruit, carrots, cucumbers, beef jerky, sugar free drinks, etc, 3) think of the house like a castle and avoid foods like candy, chips, soda, 4) build exercise into daily life by learning tennis, golf, jogging, or any active sport.

In brief: 4 ways to help diet

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Gail Altschuler
Bariatrics

In brief: Healthy food at home

Environmental control is one of the most powerful tools in weight loss and for supporting someone to lose weight.
Remove temptations. Keeping only healthy food at home makes weight loss easier and more successful. Go for a walk after dinner instead of having dessert. Make health a family choice and your husband will most likely do well.

In brief: Healthy food at home

Dr. Gail Altschuler
Dr. Gail Altschuler
Dr. James Cunnar

In brief: Being there

It's difficult beginning the process of losing weight.
It's important not to feel isolated or alone. Having a "buddy" has been shown to significantly increase the chance of long-term weight loss. It is also a great way to do something together. Help him prepare his lunches. Shop together. Make dinner together. It's good for his health, and good for you relationship!

In brief: Being there

Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. Christian Dyhianto

In brief: Healthy food at home

The cornerstone of a successful weight loss plan is to develop a lifestyle that is sustainable which include good amounts of regular exercise and healthy eating habits.
I recommend doing it as a family so that everybody encourages each other and becomes healthier together.

In brief: Healthy food at home

Dr. Christian Dyhianto
Dr. Christian Dyhianto
Dr. Thomas Struble

In brief: Support him

Cook low calorie healthy meals and encourage regular exercise.
Join him in his plan and hold each accountable for following the diet and workout plan.

In brief: Support him

Dr. Thomas Struble
Dr. Thomas Struble
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Seek the cause

Weight gain can have many causative factors.
Finding the truth about why one has a weight problem is fundimental to solving the problem. Diet alone is rarely effective. For example if a person is overweight because of an under active thyroid, then diets will fail until the thyroid condition is discovered and treated. If you wish to help your spouse urge him to undergo careful examinations.

In brief: Seek the cause

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes

In brief: Prepare all meals

Providing healthy food choices is the best help.
Avoid prepared foods. I often encourage patients to avoid bringing snacks and fattening foods into their home. If these foods are not readily available, it is hard to consume them. Have carrots and celery prepared and stored in the refrigerator in water for a quick snack. Also, arrange time every day for any form of physical activity.

In brief: Prepare all meals

Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes
Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine