Will my obesity affect my chances at me getting a job?

Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Clinical Psychology

In brief: It can

There is a significant amount of research on socially accepted stereotypes related to obesity shows many social messages perpetuate view of obese as: lazy, less intelligent, and unmotivated (see work of r. Puhl).
Studies have found that obese individuals are less likely than normal wt peers to be hired. Focus on your assets in the interview and stay positive.

In brief: It can

Dr. Lisa Saponaro
Dr. Lisa Saponaro

In brief: Possibly yes

Mild obesity should not change one's chances of getting a job, since so many americans are mildly obese.
However, very obese persons may have difficulties, depending on the workplace setting, the equipment used, and the safety issues. For example, a flight instructor weighing 350 lbs would have trouble carrying a student because many 2-seat training planes have a total limit of about 450 lbs.

In brief: Possibly yes

Dr. Adam Smith