Will how much I sleep affect my weight?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
Sleep deprivation and sleep excess have both been associated with weight gain.
Also patients with sleep apnea will secrete a hormone into the blood stream which can increase appetite and cause increased weight gain. Treatment of sleep apnea has been associated with some degree of weight loss as well.

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Plenty of studies have already been done to support the fact that getting less than six hours of sleep a night increases the risk of weight gain and diabetes and that getting more than nine or 10 hours of sleep a night can do the same.
The optimum would be somewhere between seven and nine hours sleep for an adult.

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine