How can I exercise and be healthy if I have asthma?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Treatment...

If you notice asthma symptoms when exercising, you can take a bronchodilator inhaler just before you exercise and have it available if needed when you stop exercising.
Exercise is actually good for asthma so see your doctor so you can continue to exercise comfortably and safely. There are many pro athletes who have asthma so it is possible!

In brief: Treatment...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: Inhaler

Some forms of asthma are triggered or exacerbated by cold weather and exercise.
Taking a prophylactic albuterol inhaler dose may help. However, check with your doctor first to make sure your asthma is otherwise well-controlled, you don't have any other medical problems precluding you from exercise, discuss what type of exercise to do, and how to manage asthma symptoms when exercising.

In brief: Inhaler

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal