How can you encourage your child to exercise more?

Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Make it happen

Don't encourage: make it a part of life.
Do you "make" your child go to school? Yes brush his/her teeth? Yes do you keep allow your child to jump off the roof? No. Exercise should be no different. Be a role model - you must exercise also. Then get a plan. Do it together or help them find an interest . Get help from doctor/school/friends. This is your child's health/life on the line.

In brief: Make it happen

Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. John Thaler
Agree wholeheartedly ! One of the best things you can do for your child. But, let them go at their pace -- don't demand perfection.
Dr. Daniel Lebowitz
Anti-Aging Medicine

In brief: Make it fun!

I work with patients to understand what sorts of physical activities they enjoy, or might enjoy.
I also evaluate their current level of fitness. With this information in hand, a customized program can be made for the patient, which will hopefully be fun as well as good for the health! Making it fun is always important, but especially with children!

In brief: Make it fun!

Dr. Daniel Lebowitz
Dr. Daniel Lebowitz
Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Lead by example

One of the best ways to encourage kids to exercise is to do it with them. It may also be helpful to avoid the word "exercise" and use "activity" or "play.
" depending on their ages, go on walks, run around the playground, play "tag", go climbing, "play" in the pool, go on hikes, go camping, gather firewood, etc. Just be "active.".

In brief: Lead by example

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Diane Minich

In brief: Do activities

together with your children that involve exercise and make them fun.
Set by example and attitude.

In brief: Do activities

Set by example and attitude.
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Diane Minich