Is aromatherapy effective for stress relief?

Sometimes. Some people find aromatherapy very helpful in relieving stress. Certain fragrances like lavender, peppermint, and rose can be very relaxing. Smell goes directly to the thalamus and can relax stress centers in the brain.
Yes. Yes, aromatherapy can help calm you and make you think of something or somewhere else. If it triggers a happy memory from your past, you may get a euphoric response. However, any strategy, including aromatherapy, won't work if you stay focused on what is stressing you out. You have to have an open mind and let go, even if for just a short while.