I want to exercise, but my ankle hurts a lot when I do. What exercises can you recommend?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Get in the pool

For those who have injuries or limitations to their lower extremities, pool-related exercises are an excellent way to achieve one's exercise goals.
This can include swimming, water aerobics, or even just walking in the pool. This is preferable as it is a non-weight bearing or limited weight bearing form of exercise.

In brief: Get in the pool

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Low impact

Aquatics, body weight, or resistance bands/ tubing biking, and/or elliptical.
Aquatics allow you to perform body weight exercises, but being in water actually reduces the stress on your body due to buoyancy. Once you are able to perform body weight activities then look to add light resistance w/ bands/ tubing.

In brief: Low impact

Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine