As a male, am I more at risk for heart attack when I engage in sex?

Dr. Phillip Porch
General Practice

If you already have heart issues, sexual activity will raise your heart rate.
It is similar to physical exercise and if your heart cannot tolerate the extra work, might cause you to have a heart attack.

Dr. Phillip Porch
Dr. Phillip Porch

In brief: Not necessarily

Research has shown that a 50 y/o male has a 1.
0% baseline annual risk of having a heart attack. This annual risk increases to 1.01% with sexual activity. Sexual activity with a long-standing partnet gives the same stress on the heart as playing golf or performing heavy chores. Many men with heart disease are able to safely engage in sexual intercourse, so you should specak with your physician.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine