Is it safe to take avonex (interferon beta 1a) while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Not a good idea. All interferons are considered to have potential for teratogenic risk, and should be discontinued prior to conception and pregnancy. Meds should be restarted after labor and delivery, but if breastfeeding, would not take Avonex (interferon beta 1a) at that time either. Copaxone far safer for pregnancy and works far better than avonex, (interferon beta 1a) which is clearly the least effective ms drug on the market. Consider a change.
Unknown. A category c drug. Risks shown in animal studies, unknown in humans. Use should be determined between the patient and her physcian based on risks vs benefits. There may not be any other alternatives for a specific patient. Unknown safety in nursing.