I can see black lines in one of my eyes. What could be causing this?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology
In brief: Vitreous syneresis
If the lines are moving when the eye moves, then likely they are vitreous floaters or debris.
Otherwise a fixed black line could signify a retinal problem as well as a bunch of new floaters with flashes.

In brief: Vitreous syneresis
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Michael Davis
Ophthalmology
In brief: These are floaters
There are many things that can cause black lines or "floaters" in your vision.
It could simply be the natural gel in the eye (vitreous), but it could be something more serious, like blood, a tear in the retina or a retinal detachment. If you have these symptoms you should be evaluated by a retina specialist immediately.

In brief: These are floaters
Dr. Michael Davis
Dr. Michael Davis
Dr. Beth Friedland
a comprehensive ophthalmologist can also evaluate and treat the most common causes of floaters, and then refer you to a retina specialist as needed. Most of the time is nothing serious but it should be checke out.
Dr. Andrea Brand