I suffered a corneal abrasion. What can I do to help my eye heal quickly?

Dr. Jay Pepose
Ophthalmology
In brief: See your eyeMD
Corneal abrasions can be very painful.
Patching is not recommended and a topical antibiotic should be prescribed. In some cases, placement of a bandage contact lens can promote healing and reduce discomfort. Abrasions can lead to infection and non-healing abrasions can result in scarring or corneal thinning. It is best to be evaluated, particularly if there is decreased vision or prolonged healing.

In brief: See your eyeMD
Corneal abrasions can be very painful.
Dr. Jay Pepose
Dr. Jay Pepose
Dr. Theodore Wu
most abrasions heal in 24-48 hours unless the person is immunocompromised or diabetic
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
In brief: See an eye doctor
Abrasions of the cornea can heal very rapidly, but they can be associated with infections.
Fingernails, branches and other dirty objects are the common cause, and they often carry bacteria. The best treatment involves a visit to an eye doctor to evaluate the abrasion and place you on the appropriate medication.

In brief: See an eye doctor
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine