Sometimes I can see blue and green spots when I close my eyes. Is this normal?

Dr. Matheson Harris
Ophthalmology
In brief: Entoptic phenomena
In most cases this represents what is called entoptic phenomena, where you eyes send false signals to the brain.
The retina is normally stimulated by light, but touch stimuli to the eye or even the quick temporary changes in eye pressure that occur with eyelid closure can cause these to occur. Your retina can also send afterimage signals when going from light to dark.

In brief: Entoptic phenomena
Dr. Matheson Harris
Dr. Matheson Harris
Dr. Daniel Goldberg
Ophthalmology
Yes. You are just seeing afterimages after your photoreceptors have been exposed to ambient light.
This is probably worse when the light source is bright. My patients always tell me they see colored lights after i examine them with bright light sources. It is harmless and a normal photoreceptor function. Curiously, the colors of the afterimage are generally the color complement of the light source: ie: if the light source is red, the afterimage is blue, and if the light source is yellow, the afterimage is green and vice versa. This is because when viewing the bright light source, the frequency of the light source bleaches the photoreceptor pigments responsible for sensing that frequency, leaving only the complementary color pigments in abundance until the photoreceptors can resynthesize more of the bleached pigments. Hence, the afterimage bears the color of the residual complementary pigments. Interesting.

Dr. Daniel Goldberg
Dr. Daniel Goldberg