Every day I feel like my eyes are very strained. Should I spend a day not wearing contacts or glasses to relieve the strain?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

In brief: Have an eye exam

Strain usually comes from an improper prescription, or dry eyes/exposure.
If you have not had your prescription checked recently, it may need to be updated. If your contacts are old or you have been wearing lenses for a long time, you may be developing dry eyes. A detailed eye exam would be the best next step.

In brief: Have an eye exam

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Daniel Goldberg
Ophthalmology

In brief: It Depends

This depends on how old you are and whether or not you are "presbyopic".
After age 40, we lose some capacity to read at near. This is called “presbyopia” and it is a normal change. This is more noticeable to individuals who are farsighted or never wore glasses to begin with. Nearsighted people see well up close, so they are protected gainst this, at least for a while, depending on the degree of myopia. If you are at this point in your life and the strain occurs after reading for prolonged periods, you probably have presbyopia. Your options are to rest after shorter reading intervals or, more practically, get a good pair of reading glasses or bifocals/progressives. See your eyecare specialist for this.

In brief: It Depends

Dr. Daniel Goldberg
Dr. Daniel Goldberg
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine