I can shake my eyes. Will I damage the nerves if I shake my eyes too much?

Dr. Daniel Goldberg
Ophthalmology
In brief: Depends
This depends on how vigorously you shake the eyes.
As with any part of the human body, trauma is not well tolerated. The eye is securely attached to the optic nerve and severe torsion or contusion as in blunt injury can certainly damage the optic nerve, but it is doubtful that you can generate such force voluntarily. Probably no need to worry but i would not advise overly vigorous eye shaking.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Daniel Goldberg
Dr. Daniel Goldberg
Dr. Richard Bensinger
You might be referring to voluntary nystagmus, in which with convergence, your eyes rapidly oscillate from side to side. This is harmless but is very dramatic.
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
In brief: Not likely
Shaking the head from side to side can cause the vision to "shake".
It is unlikely that you can shake your head violently enough to damage the eys' nerves without first becoming nauseated or even passing out. The nerves are well-protected by the eye socket and the surrounding muscles, which take the brunt of the abuse from shaking.

In brief: Not likely
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Eric Weisman