Sometimes I see flickering stream of light on the corner of my eye. Is this normal? What does this mean?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

In brief: Flashes, floaters

Flashes of light occur when the retina is stimulated.
As the gel in the back of the eye slowly peels off the retina it can cause a flashing sensation. This may be associated with floaters. Also, people can develop ocular migraines with or without the associated headache. Your condition may be related to either of the above; see an eye doctor either way.

In brief: Flashes, floaters

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Robert Arffa
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Flickering lights in your peripheral vision is caused by the vitreous jelly that fills the back of your eye tugging on the retina.
It occurs commonly, but you should be examined by an eye doctor. Sometimes the vitreous tugging leads to a hole, which can cause a retinal detachment if not treated.

In brief: No

Dr. Robert Arffa
Dr. Robert Arffa
Dr. Andrea Brand