When I wake up sometimes, my eyes are shut closed. Does this mean that I have eye infection?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology

In brief: Dry eyes

If your lids are crusted over, it may signify an infection.
It may also indicate an allergy (both conditions increase production of mucus which dries out and makes opening the eyes difficult after a night's sleep). As well, people with significant dry eyes can have their lids stick to their corneas overnight, making it difficult to open them upon awakening. See your eye doctor to be sure.

In brief: Dry eyes

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Elizabeth Holland
Ophthalmology

In brief: Blepharitis

It is possible that you have blepharitis or an inflammation of the eyelids.
Try using a warm compress twice daily and massage the lids and clean the eyelashes with a mild soap or lid scrub over the counter. If the condition persists, see you eye care provider.

In brief: Blepharitis

Dr. Elizabeth Holland
Dr. Elizabeth Holland
Dr. Adam Smith