I woke up with a cramp in the middle of my spine and was diagnosed with shingles but the medications aren't helping, was I misdiagnosed?

Dr. Vikas Patel
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Maybe
Shingles is generally associated with a typical rash and is usually extremely painful with a burning type of pain.
If you did not get the rash or the pain was more aching in nature, you may have a different diagnosis.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Vikas Patel
Dr. Vikas Patel
In brief: Second opinion
Call the Dr.'s office and explain what is going on.
Some people react to certain meds in different ways, including not responding. If in doubt, possibly get a second opinion or additional testing.

In brief: Second opinion
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jay Joshi
Pain Management
In brief: Shingles?
As with most pain conditions, there can be a variety of potential problems that can cause the pain that you are describing.
It is difficult to diagnose with the short description given and without a proper physical examination. Pain is often a sign of inflammation. Inflammation often occurs when something is irritated. Irritation occurs from a variety of different things. If the pain does not improve, you should see someone who is qualified to make an appropriate diagnosis. As always, i would highly suggest you do your research when seeking medical help. Find a physician who meets, or even better, exceeds the basic qualifications to practice in their specific field or sub-specialty.

In brief: Shingles?
Dr. Jay Joshi
Dr. Jay Joshi
Dr. Steven Seres