My 9 yo daughter has swollen finger joints in one hand and has elevated aso levels, could this be from scarlet fever 4 yrs ago?

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Maybe

Elevated aso levels indicate a past strep infection.
...Just not exactly when. It is important to have her evaluated to see if it is something acute or if it could be related to strep.In the cases I have seen of rheumatic problems after strep the patients did not remember having a strep infection. If her scarlet fever was treated then this may not be related.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Pauciarticular?

Swollen joints are never normal in a 9 yo.
Elevated aso suggests rheumatic joint disease. But there are many other tests are necessary to evaluate her small joint arthritis. She should see a pediatric rheumatologist. See http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/pubmedhealth/pmh0001487/ for further information.

In brief: Pauciarticular?

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Integrative therapy

In this case of swollen joints one hand, it is important to be evaluated by a physician.
I also refer often to traditional chinese medicine practitioners for many conditions (even one like this) as it helps immensely and can augment traditional treatment as well.

In brief: Integrative therapy

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cindy Juster