Can having diphtheria cause you to be sterile?

Dr. Robert Stachler
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Diphtheria

Not usually. The toxin is cardio toxic and the antitoxin will help with cardiac issues.
Ii have not heard of sterility issues with diphtheria. I had the only case in the country 10 yrs ago. It will produce a greenish exudate and the tissue in the pharynx will slough. My patient sloughed all the tissue above her vocal cords. I had to put a breathing tube in her to save her life.

In brief: Diphtheria

Dr. Robert Stachler
Dr. Robert Stachler
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Sterility is unlikely, but cardiac damage may make pregnancy more risky.

In brief: No

Diphtheria used to be a major cause of illness and death among children, before vaccines were developed.
It is a serious bacterial infection, spread by respiratory droplets just like colds and the flu are spread. It does not cause one to become sterile.

In brief: No

Dr. Peter Kurzweil