I work in a health care setting- if I got a cut that got MRSA in it would it show the symptoms?

Dr. Lauren Romeo
Wound care

In brief: Possibly

Look for red hot swollen skin.
Draining pus from the wound is another sign. Mrsa can occur other places on the body as small pustules or abscesses.

In brief: Possibly

Look for red hot swollen skin.
Dr. Lauren Romeo
Dr. Lauren Romeo
Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine

In brief: No

Mrsa is in the commuity we worry because it is tough to treat with regular antibiotics.
Mrsa in wound bed we have healed. So even if you contracted MRSA in your cut local bactroban (mupirocin) works to remove this.

In brief: No

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
2 comments
Dr. Kristin Cox
As workers in the health field we are all carriers of these worrisome bugs. The good news is that you aren't immune compromised so that infection with the likes of MRSA won't affect you as it would affect an elderly patient for example. Bactroban is a great ointment to use for your wound
Dr. Omega Edwards, m.d.
An infection with MRSA can present differently tan an infection caused by other bacteria. MRSA causes the body to have a more intense reaction to the bacteria. Hense, a cut infected with MRSA may be more "angry" looking, more swollen and more painful.
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care