Is it safe to get a tattoo in pregnancy?

Dr. Megan Bird

In brief: No

Well really the answer is maybe.
Tattooing has some risks whenever you get it. There is a small risk of infection (hiv, hepatitis c) that is reduced with using clean needles in a clean place. But there is a risk of infection from the break in the skin that occurs. This infection can spread to the blood and put your baby at risk. In general, we recommend you wait until after to get a tattoo.

In brief: No

Well really the answer is maybe.
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird

In brief: Likely safe

The physical act of tattooing is likely safe.
However, there is a risk of infection, allergic reaction, hepatitis and even hiv. The risk is likely small but is it worth it to you? There are probably no studies that have been done to determine the safety of tattooing in pregnancy. I would suggest holding off until after your pregnancy.

In brief: Likely safe

Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham