Will alcohol consumption prior to pregnancy have an impact on the baby?

Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Alcohol
Consumption should stop as soon as you start planning to get pregnant, to give your body time to heal, & your future baby a chance to survive.

In brief: Alcohol
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
In brief: Russian roulette
This is most sensitive period.
Why take the chance; could last a life time of your child-to-be. Chat with your ob; this is too important.

In brief: Russian roulette
This is most sensitive period.
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
In brief: Hard to say
Although the most studied effects of alcohol concern the pregnancy itself, we cannot be sure what effect it has on the eggs waiting to be used.
Every exposure to a toxic material may have an effect on the quality of chromosomal and microsomal DNA present in the egg that will be fertilized.A drug free lifestyle including alcohol would be my suggestion, although I'd probably be considered extreme.

In brief: Hard to say
Dr. Sheila Goodman
In brief: Not usually
Alcohol use before pregnancy will only affect the pregnancy if your use was heavy enough to impact your liver. Alcohol only stays in your system for 24-36 hours.
Alcohol use during pregnancy can affect the baby's brain and is not reversible.

In brief: Not usually
Dr. Sheila Goodman
Dr. Sheila Goodman
Dr. Jane Van Dis