Is generic Synthroid (thyroxine) okay to take?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
Generic synthroid is called levothyroxine.
Taking generic version is reasonable and will likely achivevsimilar results , however i would recommend that you inform your endocrinologist about such switch as you may need to have your thyroid levels checked soon (a few weeks) after making the switch to ensure your dosing is appropriate. I would also recommend that you adhere to one kind of preparation.

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. David Sneid
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Generic
Levothyroxine is less reliable than the brand name products.
The dose and your body's response to it can vary from pill to pill and batch to batch. If your pharmacy changes from one manufacturer to another, your levels will change. Brand names are more expensive, but highly recommended.

In brief: Generic
Dr. David Sneid
Dr. David Sneid
Dr. Marsha Davis