I've been diagnosed with a pituitary tumor, what should I expect now?

Dr. Soren Singel
Neurosurgery

In brief: Symptoms?

Many pituitary tumors need no immediate treatment.
Usually when found, a hormone workup will be done and an endocrinology consult called as appropriate. Also, an opthalmological exam may be helpful to detect any small field cuts. Your neurosurgeon will orchestrate this.

In brief: Symptoms?

Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Pituatary tumor

I would consult a neurosurgeon and an endocrinologist for information about what to expect.
An endocrinologist will recommend necessary tests and treatment. The neurosurgeon will offer you alternatives to manage the tumor itself.

In brief: Pituatary tumor

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Tests.

If not already done, an MRI to confirm the tumor, and determine the size of the tumor. Lab tests to determine if the tumor is causing too much or too little of any pituitary tumor.
If the tumor is larger than 1 CM (10 mm) or is making too much of anything other than prolactin, surgery may be advised. Medical treatment is often used to correct low hormone levels, or high levels of prolactin.

In brief: Tests.

Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo