I've developed low thyroid levels due to lithium, what should I do now?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Treat if low
Need to replace your deficiency as lithium is known to cause hypothyroidism (and simetimes hyperthyroidism).
Although lithium-induced hypothyroidism is usually reversible upon cessation of lithium, the development of hypothyroidism is not a contraindication to continuing lithium, and most experts advocate thyroid augmentation.

In brief: Treat if low
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Tyrone Malloy
In brief: See below
If the low thyroid is causing you symptoms then replacement is necessary or another medication other than lithium needs to be prescribed that doesn't have this effect.

In brief: See below
Dr. Tyrone Malloy
Dr. Tyrone Malloy
Dr. Eric Weisman