I've developed low thyroid levels due to lithium, what should I do now?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Treat if low

Need to replace your deficiency as lithium is known to cause hypothyroidism (and simetimes hyperthyroidism).
Although lithium-induced hypothyroidism is usually reversible upon cessation of lithium, the development of hypothyroidism is not a contraindication to continuing lithium, and most experts advocate thyroid augmentation.

In brief: Treat if low

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Tyrone Malloy

In brief: See below

If the low thyroid is causing you symptoms then replacement is necessary or another medication other than lithium needs to be prescribed that doesn't have this effect.

In brief: See below

Dr. Tyrone Malloy
Dr. Tyrone Malloy