How can I ease my anxiety about seeing a massage therapist?

Dr. Steven Reidbord

In brief: Take it slowly

I assume you were referred to a massage therapist, or feel massage would help even though you're anxious about it.
(otherwise i'd say just don't go.) like most other therapists, a massage therapist will understand if it's new to you and the idea makes you uncomfortable. Read about massage, and maybe start with a short session, or limit it to parts of your body that don't trigger anxiety.

In brief: Take it slowly

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
General Practice

In brief: Mindfulness

Reading on "mindfulness" is an effective way to treat anxiety without medications.

In brief: Mindfulness

Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Dr. Steven Griggs
What is it about the masseuse that makes you nervous? Do you have anxiety when going to other providers? Do you have an anxiety disorder? need to know more.
Dr. Maritza Baez

In brief: Stay active

Exercise is a great way to relieve stress.
Your body releases endorphins during exercise, which can help you feel calm. If you exercise 30 - 60 minutes a day, your stress levels can improve. When stressed, take 5 slow, deep breaths with your eyes closed, then roll your shoulders forward 5 times, then back 5 times. This will slow your heart rate and release tension in your neck and shoulders.

In brief: Stay active

Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez