How do I know if I should see a massage therapist or a chiropractor?

See an MD. You should not see either of these providers until your issue such as pain or injury, has been evaluated by your family doctor and perhaps an orthopod. Use their recommendation for the next step which is likely to be a physical therapist. Massage therapist provide a gentle comfortable massage. Chiropractors provide a strenuous, sometimes dangerous massage and no cures.
Muscle Spasms. Massage therapists are best for muscular aches and pains as well as spasms. If you see one and they fail then try a chiropractor. If you have a joint locked up especially in the spine chiropractors are you best first bet. Realignment of the spine will help some muscle spasms and pain.