How do I know if I should see a massage therapist or a chiropractor?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: See an MD
You should not see either of these providers until your issue such as pain or injury, has been evaluated by your family doctor and perhaps an orthopod.
Use their recommendation for the next step which is likely to be a physical therapist. Massage therapist provide a gentle comfortable massage. Chiropractors provide a strenuous, sometimes dangerous massage and no cures.

In brief: See an MD
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
In brief: Muscle Spasms
Massage therapists are best for muscular aches and pains as well as spasms.
If you see one and they fail then try a chiropractor. If you have a joint locked up especially in the spine chiropractors are you best first bet. Realignment of the spine will help some muscle spasms and pain.

In brief: Muscle Spasms
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. William Forsythe