How do I go into surgery when I do not have much faith in the medical establishment?

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Elective ? You don't

Emergent surgery you are kinda stuck.
But elective surgery you have a choice. If you want your problem fixed and surgery is the only option you fix it. If you don't want your problem fixed, don't have surgery! No one should force you to have surgery. Ask yourself what is is you don't trust about elite professionals who went thru 13-16 years of rigorous higher education in order to help you ?

In brief: Elective ? You don't

Emergent surgery you are kinda stuck.
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Faith in your docto

To be honest, as a doctor that is a hard question to answer. And we all know some doctors are better than others, nicer than others, etc just like any profession.
I think what you need to do is not have faith in the medical establishment, but just faith that you have chosen a doctor who will take good care of you and look out for your best interests.

In brief: Faith in your docto

Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Faith in your doctor

You don't need faith in the medical establishment so much as faith in your surgeon & his/her team. As a holistic md i understand more than most docs the problems with the "medical establishment"-most docs rely much too much on dangerous drugs that treat symptoms as a opposed to curing.
But i believe modern medicine's greatest success is surgery. Surgeons perform miracles every day! see comment:.

In brief: Faith in your doctor

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Surgery can be frightening for anyone. Make sure you are comfortable with your choice of surgeons and the facility you are using. Meet with the anesthesiologist. Ask questions. Fear will only make things worse. I advise taking homeopathic Arnica before & after surgery & a good mulitivitamin before and after to speed your healing. Be grateful for your opportunity to have the surgery you need. Good luck! See http://www.alpinepharm.com/
Pathology

In brief: A chance to learn

There are good and mediocre physicians & hopefully you've chosen wisely.
I don't understand my automobile, and scientific medicine's even harder to understand. The internet is full of doctor-bashers who have no obligation to tell the truth about risks and benefits. Your experience may give you a welcome chance to learn whether your mistrust is really justified, or whether you might reconsider.

In brief: A chance to learn

Dr. Roxanne Lewis
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Check it out.

Ask questions. Do your homework.
Ask about number of times the Doc has done the procedure, how often the procedure was done in the hospital; check outcomes. Find a doctor who answers your questions to your satisfaction. Familiarize yourself with procedures and processes. Finally, protect yourself with knowledge and information. Prepare. Know risks/benefits. Make your choice on facts.

In brief: Check it out.

Ask questions. Do your homework.
Dr. Roxanne Lewis
Dr. Roxanne Lewis
Dr. Roxanne Lewis
I would re- think that your saying "I do not have faith in the medical profession." Faith is belief with out evidence. You should not have faith in the medical profession, because there is plenty of evidence to support medicine and medical procedure. You do not need faith--you need information.
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery