How can western and chinese medical doctors collaborate?

Communication! You need to find two practitioners who are willing to try to communicate. I've had some chinese medical doctors who have absolutely refused to talk to me, and others who are happy to collaborate on patients. Even though western and chinese doctors look at the body in different ways (biochemistry versus chi, meridians...), it does not mean they cannot talk and collaborate. Pejman katiraei.
Tolerance. Both need to tolerance and the willingness to see the benefits of the other. Medical acupuncture is good model. It requires an additional 300 hours of training for western trained doctors. It encorporates western anatomy and physiology as well as concepts from traditional chinese medicine (tcm). Coming from a western model medical school - it was very challenging for me to learn tcm.