Can alcohol poisoning give you brain damage?

Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Alcohol Poisoning

Alcohol can damage the brain if done to excess.
There is an organic brain syndrome caused from alcohol damage. Delirium tremens is a disorder caused by acute alcohol withdrawl. Yes, alcohol can be very damaging to the brain if used to excess!

In brief: Alcohol Poisoning

Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

Alcohol poisoning causes breathing to slow down to the point where the oxygen level in our blood, and reaching our brain, gets very low.
If it gets too low for too long (only three minutes may do it), brain cells start to die. This is the definition of brain damage. I have seen people in permanent comas and vegetative states in the aftermath of alcohol poisoning.

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg