Can you prevent smoking withdrawal?

Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Preventive Medicine

In brief: 1

Cigarette smokiing cessation can be aided by adding in nicotene containing prescription products.
These will help with the withdrawl significantly. I have used the Nicotrol inhalers and nicotene gum frequently in my patients. There are some other prescription medications that help, like wellbutrin (bupropion) and clonidine.

In brief: 1

Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Addiction Medicine

In brief: No

Even when you smoke you go through low grade withdrawal.
It can be minimized with treatment but can only be avoided by being completely off nicotine products.

In brief: No

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Karl Spector
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Limit, not prevent

You can try to limit or minimize your nicotine withdrawal by slowly tapering your smoking.
Then, you can switch to the nicotine gum/patch/lozenge to further taper and step down the amount of nicotine. The slower one goes, the more successful it tends to be. Good luck!

In brief: Limit, not prevent

Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology