Is hypnotherapy an effective way to quit smoking?

Very effective. Although the studies on smoking of hypnosis and other treatments show about 20% success, my personal experience is much better than that. Remember, not all hypnosis is the same. Hypnosis is just a tool and how you use it is crucial. A suggestion under hypnosis is much more powerful than one without hypnosis but the exact approach has to be tailored for each individual patient.
Yes and no. Research shows hypnosis to be as effective but no more effective than other methods of quitting smoking such as cognitive behavioral therapy and medications. None of these methods work if the patient is not motivated to quit.