Is hypnotherapy an effective way to quit smoking?

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Very effective

Although the studies on smoking of hypnosis and other treatments show about 20% success, my personal experience is much better than that.
Remember, not all hypnosis is the same. Hypnosis is just a tool and how you use it is crucial. A suggestion under hypnosis is much more powerful than one without hypnosis but the exact approach has to be tailored for each individual patient.

In brief: Very effective

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Kevin Windisch

In brief: Yes and no

Research shows hypnosis to be as effective but no more effective than other methods of quitting smoking such as cognitive behavioral therapy and medications.
None of these methods work if the patient is not motivated to quit.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
2 comments
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Well the hynposis is just a tool. It is how you use it that is very important. It's like going to a surgeon to have your gall bladder out. I know how to hold the scalpel and how to cut with it but I don't think you would want me to do the operation. The success of hypnosis depends on the skill of the hypnotist. I get much better results than the studies referred to.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Interesting because the studies referred to come via the President of the ABMH.