I can voluntarily make thundering sort of noise in my ear. Is this normal?

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry
In brief: Can happen
Some people can flex the muscles in and around the ear and make sounds that they can hear. It is not typical but can happen.
If you are also experiencing any changes in your hearing you should get checked.

In brief: Can happen
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Not common, but OK
But most likely you are voluntarily contracting your stapedius muscle in your ear.
This tiny muscle contracting can cause your ear drum to tremor, which might sound like thunder or a drum beating. F it is voluntary, it is almost certainly not harmful, but you may want to have it checked out by your local ent. Best wishes.

In brief: Not common, but OK
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Vikram Patel