What is the function of uvula? I think I scratched it with my toothbrush this morning!

Dr. Jon Molinare
Dentistry
In brief: Uvula function
The uvula is part of the soft palate and helps to seal the maxillary sinus during swallowing.
If you traumatized it it can be painful and give the feeling of a sore throat. Be sure to baby the area, by eating softer foods and chewing your food well before swallowing. Stay away from hard or scratchy foods for a while. Without re-injury it should in several days.

In brief: Uvula function
Dr. Jon Molinare
Dr. Jon Molinare
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Uvula seals nasopharyngeal, not the sinus. Otherwise agree unless excessive size contributes to (not causes!) apnea.
Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Uvula function
The specific function(s) of the uvula are not known for certain.
It is thought that the uvula helps with effective swallowing, contributes to the start of the protective gag reflex, helps in the formation of some speech sounds and plays a role in immunity.

In brief: Uvula function
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun