I have a headache and sore throat. Should I go to a doctor or will these symptoms go away by itself?

In brief: If mild wait 24 hrs

If the symptoms are manageable with things like gargling and over the counter medications like Ibuprofen or tylenol, (acetaminophen) then you might be able to wait a bit.
If the symptoms are worsening, then it is not likely to go away on its own.

In brief: If mild wait 24 hrs

Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh

In brief: Depends on the Dr.

For patients with sore throats, some doctors want to see every one of them and do rapid (5 minute) strep throat tests on them. This method catches strep infections early, and starts antibiotics early, for faster recovery.
Other doctors want patients to wait a couple of days to see if the symptoms go away on their own, and then just see in the clinic the patients with persistent symptoms.

In brief: Depends on the Dr.