I recently had a total hysterectomy. My stools are loose and black. Should I be worried?

Dr. Livia Wan
Gynecology

In brief: Black stool

Are you taking iron pills? If you are anemic after surgery, your physician may prescribe iron pills for you.
Taking iron pills will make your stool black. If you are not taking iron pills and your stool is black, you should tell your doctor. It may suggest that bleeding from your stomach or intestine. Livia wan, md.

In brief: Black stool

Dr. Livia Wan
Dr. Livia Wan

In brief: Go for a check-up

Black loose stools can be a sign of blood that could be coming from high in the GI tract.
Blood in the stool should never be ignored. Sometimes the stress of surgery can cause people to develop a bleeding ulcer. See your doctor right away.

In brief: Go for a check-up

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Adam Levy