I had a vaginal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. I started getting abdominal cramps. What should I do?

Dr. John Kirk

In brief: Always check with Dr

It is common to have aches and pains and cramps for a period of time after hysterectomies through whatever approach (vaginal, laparoscopic, robotic or abdominal).
It is often the bowels moving slowly or small adhesions developing, for example. It may also be signs of a urine infection or small fluid collection near the vagina on the inside. Always check with your doctor if no rapid improvement.

In brief: Always check with Dr

Dr. John Kirk
Dr. John Kirk

In brief: See your doctor

Most of the time, post-operative cramping would be getting better by 2 weeks.
If it is getting worse, it could signal a complication like bleeding, infection, or bowel injury. See your gynecologist for an evaluation.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine