I had a vaginal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. I started getting abdominal cramps. What should I do?

Dr. John Kirk
In brief: Always check with Dr
It is common to have aches and pains and cramps for a period of time after hysterectomies through whatever approach (vaginal, laparoscopic, robotic or abdominal).
It is often the bowels moving slowly or small adhesions developing, for example. It may also be signs of a urine infection or small fluid collection near the vagina on the inside. Always check with your doctor if no rapid improvement.

In brief: Always check with Dr
Dr. John Kirk
Dr. John Kirk
In brief: See your doctor
Most of the time, post-operative cramping would be getting better by 2 weeks.
If it is getting worse, it could signal a complication like bleeding, infection, or bowel injury. See your gynecologist for an evaluation.

In brief: See your doctor
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Jane Van Dis