How often should you have colonoscopy? I have a lot of lower abdominal pain.

Dr. Camil Sader
Surgery

In brief: Colonoscopy

An initial colonoscopy is typically warranted in a healthy 50 year old.
However, a patient with a family history and/or symptoms as yourself will need a thorough workup which very well may include a colonoscopy. Please go see your endoscopist asap.

In brief: Colonoscopy

Dr. Camil Sader
Dr. Camil Sader
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Depends

If you are over 50 and have no prior hx or family history of colon polyps or cancer or inflammatory bowel disease, the current recommendations are once every 10 years.
If any of the above are positive it should be more often, at least every 5 years and maybe more often depending on your specific risk factors. Abdominal pain, in of itself, is not an indication for colonoscopy in my opinion.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine