I had my gallbladder removed. How will this affect my digestive health?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Diarrhea

The function of the gallbladdder is to store bile made by the liver. The bile is used by the digestive tract to break down and absorb fats.
Most people with gallstones have the lost the function of the gallbladder-the body has essentially learned to live without it. About 5% of patients will develop diarrhea after gallbladder removal due to the bile not getting to the intestine when needed most.

In brief: Diarrhea

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Eric Kaplan
If you have diarrhea since you cholecystectomy, discuss with your doctor adding a bile salt binder to your daily regimen. This usually works. There is no reason to suffer with the diarrhea secondary to gall bladder removal.
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care

In brief: Minimally

Your digestive system will adjust.
You must learn not to eat alot greassy foods all at once.

In brief: Minimally

Your digestive system will adjust.
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey