I understand my parents are trying to help my lose weight but how can I tell them to not call me fat?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Seek other support
Let them know your respect that they are concerned about your weight and that they should respect you enough not to be derogatory.
If you yourself want to lose weight try to see your physician for support. Giving them the benefit of the doubt they are trying to help but we both know they are not. Those kind of comments would cause many of my patients to possibly eat more for comfort.

In brief: Seek other support
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Patrick Weix
There are a number of studies that show that parental teasing or parent initiated dieting backfire. Consider sharing this outside objective information with them. If you want to change your weight, make healthy choices for food and exercise, but my advice is NOT to start a diet. The diet cycle is a bad treadmill to get on.
Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: Directly & kindly
Words really do have power to hurt, do they not? Let them know in the very best way you can that the fat word hurts so they will not only hear you but actually listen to you.

In brief: Directly & kindly
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine