How can my doctors learn from my amniotic fluid?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Laboratory tests

The amniotic fluid can reveal if there is an infection in the uterus.
It can give an indication as to the likelihood of spina bifida, and genetic studies can be performed on the fetal cells in the amniotic fluid.

In brief: Laboratory tests

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Jonathan Song
Gynecology

In brief: Many things

Oligohydramnios (low fluid levels) can imply possible leakage or poor production from the fetus which can imply poor growth or kidney or other organ being compromised.
Amniotic fluid is natural fluid from the fetus (urine). Polyhydramnios (too much fluid) can imply potential congenital anomaly or it can also be "normal." fluid levels help doctors determine whether further investigation is required.

In brief: Many things

Dr. Jonathan Song
Dr. Jonathan Song
Dr. Adam Levy