In my 30's now and diagnosed as bi-polar but was a manic depressive at 13, don't want to take pills again, how can I cope?

Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Meds May Help
It is always good to pay attention to behavioral and environmental strategies to help you cope with your mood.
For example, good sleeping habits, good nutrition, and consistent exercise are important. It also helps to have a good therapist and a support network of friends. However, please remember that bipolar disorder is related to biological changes in the brain, and meds may be helpful for now.

In brief: Meds May Help
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. Glen Elliott
People's reactions to medications often change markedly over the years, both during childhood and comparing childhood with adulthood. You know much more about yourself now than you did at age 13 and can be a far greater participant in selecting and monitoring your medications to get maximal benefit with minimal side effects. Also, the options now are much different than they were back then.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
In brief: Follow scientific rx
Please let me know why you don't want to take pills again.
Manic-depressive is an old name for bipolar disorder. Please rethink taking pills again, as bpd is a neurobiological problem that should be adequately and safely treated. See: http://www.Nimh.Nih.Gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder-in-children-and-teens-a-parents-guide/complete-index.Shtml.

In brief: Follow scientific rx
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Bassam Amawi
In brief: Bad
Is chronic remittent illness , if u comply with u medication, try to decrease u level of stress and avoid illicit drug use u can be stable.

In brief: Bad
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi
In brief: You have received
some excellent input so far. Manic Depressive = Bipolar Disorder.
Agree with input that you may tolerate medications better as an adult. There are a number of new medications available now - that weren't when you were 13. If you aren't in some form of non-pharmacological treatment - that is a must. Take care.

In brief: You have received
Dr. Eric Weisman