I've been single for 7 years now but my son is starting to ask where his dad is- we split when he was just 8 mo old and haven't seen him since?

In brief: Be honest

Reinforce how much you care for your son.
Work with a child therapist to help you talk to your son on his level of understanding. Your son doesn't need to know all the details, but he will have lots of questions. Kids are very sensitive to abandonment. The therapist can help you navigate this difficult topic.

In brief: Be honest

Dr. Elizabeth Howell
Dr. Elizabeth Howell
Dr. Donald Hazlett

In brief: Answer his questions

Generally children don't ask unless they have some understanding of what they are asking, at least enough to grasp some of what you may say.
Common wisdom was that whatever you said would be ok as long as you were not putting someone down or saying hurtful things. I think that's probably true. Don't elaborate, just answer the questions plainly and briefly. They will ask more if not satisfied.

In brief: Answer his questions

Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett