Lately I haven't been able to sleep, eat more, and just want my family home all the time-is this depression?

Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: Likely
And you seem to have some anxiety mixed in.
Why not have a psychiatric checkup as treatment is available.

In brief: Likely
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Possible
Depression can have many symptoms, including poor sleep, change in diet, weight changes, lethargy, tiredness, tearfulness, anhedonia (lack of pleasure), and many other symptoms.
One does not need all of these symptoms, but the more one has, the higher the probability of depression. It is strongly recommended that you see your family doctor, internist or psychiatrist to confirm your symptoms.

In brief: Possible
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Donald Hazlett
I wonder if there is a severe social phobia component there that has exacerbated the clear depressive symptoms and that's why being at home keeps the social phobia at bay but the loneliness causes eating, sleeping and other depressive symptoms to occur or be significantly worse.