What are the effects of type 2 diabetes on pregnancy?

Many. Diabetes can affect the developing baby throughout the pregnancy. In early pregnancy, a mother's diabetes can result in birth defects and an increased rate of miscarriage. Many of the birth defects that occur affect major organs such as the brain and heart. During the 2nd & 3rd trimester, a mother's diabetes can lead to over-nutrition & excess growth of the baby.
Increases Risks. Type ii diabetics have increased risk of pregnancy complications. Hormones produced in the placenta result in more Insulin resistance and thus higher glucose levels. Maintaining a strict and consistent diet along with increasing aerobic exercise can control help you maintain appropriate weight gain and a healthy weight for your baby.