Is there anything I can do to stop having terrible nightmares?

Dr. Alfredo Soto

In brief: Depends

The treatment for the nightmares depends on the cause of the nightmares.
They may be simply caused by bad food at night, or can be a symptom of ptsd or even bipolar disorder. In the case of ptsd, psychotherapy works best, especially some called cbt/ exposure therapy. Certain blood pressure medicines work well to. In the case of bipolar disorder, antipsychotics can help.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Alfredo Soto
Dr. Alfredo Soto
Dr. Daniel Karlin

In brief: Medication Option

I hope that you get psychologically minded options offered here as well, but i did want to offer that there is a medication, originally developed as a treatment for high blood pressure, which has been shown in multiple studies to reduce nightmares in people with post-traumatic stress disorder. A psychiatrist could evaluate your situation and determine if this option is appropriate for you.

In brief: Medication Option

Dr. Daniel Karlin
Dr. Daniel Karlin
Dr. Margarita Krasnova
Hello, Dr. Karlin, I am working with veterans, and use this medication often. I find it helpful. The only problem, if veteran is older than 50, usually they already precribed medication for prostate enlargement, and we have to choose another option. What is your approach in these cases? Thanks you.
Dr. James Fox

In brief: Prazosin

Also, prazosin (a medication for blood pressure) is very effective in reducing nightmares, particularly in people with ptsd.
It is not sedating, but it is thought to alter sleep architecture for the better. It is started at low dose (1-2mg) but doses as high as 10-12mg or more may be necessary. 5mg seems about average. Side effects are related to a decrease in blood pressure.

In brief: Prazosin

Dr. James Fox
Dr. James Fox
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine